Sepsis and Severe Infections
Format: Virtual (fully booked)
Dates: February 25-26, 2021
Master Class Directors:
Ricard FERRER MD, PhD, Head of Intensive Care Department / SODIR Research group-VHIR, University Hospital Vall d’Hebron; Associate Professor University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain; Chair of Systemic Inflammation and Sepsis (SIS) Section, ESICM
Pedro PÓVOA MD, PhD, Coordinator of the Polyvalent Intensive Care Unit, Hospital de São Francisco Xavier, CHLO, Lisbon, Associate Professor NOVA Medical School, CEDOC, New University of Lisbon, Portugal, Adjunct Professor, Centre for Clinical Epidemiology and Research Unit of Clinical Epidemiology, OUH Odense University Hospital, Denmark; Chair of Infection (INF) Section, ESICM.
Accreditation: Sepsis and Severe Infections, Brussels, Belgium, 25/02/2021-26/02/2021 has been granted 12 European CME credits (ECMEC®s) by the European Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (EACCME®).
Key Reasons to attend
- Improve your competences in the field
- Enjoy new learning formats that will impact your knowledge, skills, motivation and attitude in the ICU setting
- Exchange best practice
- Network with peers and experts from all over the World
- To review the current knowledge of the epidemiology and pathophysiology of infections and sepsis
- To reinforce participants’ knowledge of recognition, source identification and initial treatment (antibiotics, organ support and fluid therapy)
- To manage correctly the (frequent and less frequent) infections in the ICU setting
- To employ the antibiotic stewardship: PKPD of antibiotics, biomarkers, duration and de-escalation of antibiotic therapy as well as preventive strategies
- To diagnose and manage septic shock
- To understand the role of adjuvant therapies (safety, tolerability and impact)
- Recognition and Source Identification
- Initial Treatment and Bundles
- Severe Infections (lung, abdominal, urinary tract)
- Other infections (meningitis, endocarditis, skin infections)
- Antibiotic Stewardship from empirical to directed therapy
- Septic Shock
- Adjuvant Therapies
Who should attend this e-master class?
- Senior intensivists wanting a comprehensive refresher course
- Intensive care trainees/residents seeking a training course on the integrated approach of a septic patient
- Intensive care medicine and internal medicine MDs with a keen interest in sepsis and infections in the ICU
- Researchers needing a better understanding of the clinical perspective of the management of sepsis and severe infections
- ESICM offers 20% discount for 3 or more participants registering from the same centre. For more details contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Master Class Incentive
ESICM rewards your fidelity! If you have attended 5 or more master classes in Brussels or virtually during the past two years you can benefit from ONE free registration to any of the future master classes. Contact us here for further details: email@example.com
Highlights from the 2020 edition
The second edition of the Sepsis and Severe Infections master class has just wrapped up. A total of 9 experts and 43 participants from 16 countries came together at the ESICM Training Centre in Brussels for this master class. Here are some of their comments on what they liked best about their experience:
- International public, different international approaches; The small group discussions, and patient cases
- Excellent quality of lectures
- Open minded and friendly approach and a great load of information. Despite the class had over 40 participants, everyone could participate and ask questions, there was a time for it in groups as well as in the whole class activities. On the other hand, the participants were not pushed to express themselves if they don’t want. There was a great balance in this. I found the organisation amazing, the program went on time, but with a lot of breaks and moving which keep us awake (good point for me). The professors were high quality with a lot of knowledge, energy and opened to discuss, supporting to ask the questions.
- Discussion and interaction in small groups
Highlights from the 2019 edition
The first edition of the Sepsis and Severe Infections master class has just wrapped up. It came in continuation of two previous initiatives: Fundamentals & Updates in Sepsis and Managing Pneumonia in ICU. A total of 8 experts and 45 participants from 20 countries came together at the ESICM Training Centre in Brussels for this pilot master class. Here are some of their comments on what they liked best about their experience:
- High quality experts!
- Meeting people from many other countries.
- The possibility to formulate your own thoughts on therapy of sepsis and biomarkers
- I found the infection-café’s extremely helpful. Well led by the teachers, who had prepared the cases in advance. This way, I got a lot out of it.
- The interactive nature of the event, the discussions and the friendliness and approachability of the experts.
- The different way the faculty tried to pass us information: pools, clinical case, expert discussion
- It was interactive and I enjoyed participating in all discussions.
- Interaction during the case discussions; it should be stressed that the theoretical basis must be studied before (online) in order to get the most out of the course. In this way the teachers may spend more time on case discussions.
Highlights from the 2018 edition
The first edition of the Fundamentals & Updates in Sepsis Master Class was a resounding success! Participants from 10 countries came together for 2 days at the ESICM Training Centre in Brussels. Here are some of their comments on what they liked best about their experience:
“Group discussions and case reports”
“Possibility to interact with experts”
“Being able to question the opinion leaders on this subject”
“The possibility of receiving lessons from European experts and meeting intensivists from all around Europe”
“The method to deliver high-level scientific presentations”
“The quality of the speakers and the attempt to make the event as interactive as possible”
Social media: @ESICM #sepsis