Sepsis and Severe Infections
Location: ESICM Brussels Training Centre (19 Rue Belliard – 1040 Brussels)
Dates: January 21-22, 2020
Master Class Directors:
Ricard FERRER MD, PhD, Head of Intensive Care Department / SODIR Research group-VHIR, University Hospital Vall d’Hebron; Associate Professor University of Barcelona, Barcelona, Spain; Chair of Systemic Inflammation and Sepsis (SIS) Section, ESICM
Pedro PÓVOA MD, PhD, Coordinator of the Polyvalent Intensive Care Unit, Hospital de São Francisco Xavier, CHLO, Lisbon, Associate Professor NOVA Medical School, CEDOC, New University of Lisbon, Portugal, Adjunct Professor, Centre for Clinical Epidemiology and Research Unit of Clinical Epidemiology, OUH Odense University Hospital, Denmark; Chair of Infection (INF) Section, ESICM
Learn more about the master class faculty here
Accreditation: The Sepsis and Severe Infections, Brussels, Belgium, 21/01/2020-22/01/2020 has been accredited by the European Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (EACCME®) with 13 European CME credits (ECMEC®s). Each medical specialist should claim only those hours of credit that he/she actually spent in the educational activity.
Compliance: Event compliant with the MedTech Europe Code of Ethical Business Practice
Key Reasons to attend
- Meet top experts on sepsis and infections
- Improve your competences in the field
- Enjoy new learning formats that will impact your knowldege, skills, motivation and attitude in the ICU setting
- Exchange best practice
- Network with peers and experts from all over Europe and beyond
- An application will be made to the UEMS EACCME® for CME accreditation of this event
- To review the current knowledge of the epidemiology and pathophysiology of infections and sepsis
- To reinforce participants’ knowledge of recognition, source identification and initial treatment (antibiotics, organ support and fluid therapy)
- To manage correctly the (frequent and less frequent) infections in the ICU setting
- To employ the antibiotic stewardship: PKPD of antibiotics, biomarkers, duration and de-escalation of antibiotic therapy as well as preventive strategies
- To diagnose and manage septic shock
- To understand the role of adjuvant therapies (safety, tolerability and impact)
- Recognition and Source Identification
- Initial Treatment and Bundles
- Major Infections (lung, abdominal, urinary tract)
- Other infections (meningitis, endocarditis, skin infections)
- Antibiotic Stewardship from empirical to directed therapy
- Septic Shock
- Adjuvant Therapies
Who should attend this master class?
- Senior intensivists wanting a comprehensive refresher course
- Intensive care trainees/residents seeking a training course on the integrated approach of a septic patient
- Intensive care medicine and internal medicine MDs with a keen interest in sepsis and infections in the ICU
- Researchers needing a better understanding of the clinical perspective of the management of sepsis and severe infections
- ESICM offers 20% discount for two or more participants registering from the same centre. For more details contact email@example.com
Master Class Incentive
ESICM rewards your fidelity! If you have attended 5 or more master classes in Brussels during the past two years you can benefit from ONE free registration to any of the future master classes held at the ESICM Training Centre. Contact us here for further details: firstname.lastname@example.org
Highlights from the 2019 edition
The first edition of the Sepsis and Severe Infections master class has just wrapped up. It came in continuation of two previous initiatives: Fundamentals & Updates in Sepsis and Managing Pneumonia in ICU. A total of 8 experts and 45 participants from 20 countries came together at the ESICM Training Centre in Brussels for this pilot master class. Here are some of their comments on what they liked best about their experience:
- High quality experts!
- Meeting people from many other countries.
- The possibility to formulate your own thoughts on therapy of sepsis and biomarkers
- I found the infection-café’s extremely helpful. Well led by the teachers, who had prepared the cases in advance. This way, I got a lot out of it.
- The interactive nature of the event, the discussions and the friendliness and approachability of the experts.
- The different way the faculty tried to pass us information: pools, clinical case, expert discussion
- It was interactive and I enjoyed participating in all discussions.
- Interaction during the case discussions; it should be stressed that the theoretical basis must be studied before (online) in order to get the most out of the course. In this way the teachers may spend more time on case discussions.
Highlights from the 2018 edition
The first edition of the Fundamentals & Updates in Sepsis Master Class was a resounding success! Participants from 10 countries came together for 2 days at the ESICM Training Centre in Brussels. Here are some of their comments on what they liked best about their experience:
“Group discussions and case reports”
“Possibility to interact with experts”
“Being able to question the opinion leaders on this subject”
“The possibility of receiving lessons from European experts and meeting intensivists from all around Europe”
“The method to deliver high-level scientific presentations”
“The quality of the speakers and the attempt to make the event as interactive as possible”
Social media: @ESICM #sepsis