EDIC Part I Examination
Autumn 2021 – 4 October
*Note: This exclusive access on the ESICM Academy is only available to validated candidates of the EDIC I exam.
EDIC Part I exam (online)
The EDIC Part I examination is a multiple-choice written examination in English to be performed in three hours. There are 100 multiple-choice questions (MCQs) and each question trunk will have either four or five stems.
Questions are drawn from the entire spectrum of intensive care medicine, including basic medical science and physiology, pathophysiology of relevant diseases, interpretation of diagnostic data, therapeutics/toxicology, organ function replacement therapies, ethics and any other aspect relevant to the clinical ICM practice.
The EDIC Committee aims to provide candidates with the safety and convenience of an online platform while retaining the integrity and quality of an on-site supervised exam. The online format of the EDIC Part I exam is
- Identical in content and questions format to previous on-site paper-based exams.
- Accessible anywhere in the world.
- Taken on the candidate’s own device (computer only) and monitored by a human proctor online through ProctorU®.
Required Documentation to apply
- Short version curriculum vitae
- Letter of Confirmation from National or Regional primary speciality Training Authority (e.g. College or Society)
- Documents/letter confirming your training in ICM or completion of ICM training programme
- If you are in ICM training: Training Authority, supervisor or Head of Training.
- If you have completed your ICM training: Head of Department or Head of Training Programme or other representatives who can attest to your having completed ICM training.
- If you are a specialist: Copy of University-awarded Medical Degree and current certificate of full medical registration.
We hereby provide you with some general information. More specific information is available here.
Step 1: get ready for the exam
The environment in which you decide to take the exam must meet the following requirements:
- The room must be quiet in order to avoid any distractions.
- You must be alone in the room.
- The workspace must be clear of all materials and unauthorised supports: books, notes and other written materials as well as devices: tablets, watches, recording equipment, calculators and mobile phones. The proctor or invigilator will supervise you have cleared all before the exam.
- Taking pictures or screenshots, writing notes or copying/pasting any element of the exam content are strictly prohibited.
- There should be no background noise from radio, television or other devices.
- You must be dressed appropriately, with your face visible to the proctor all the time.
- No breaks are allowed.
Failure to adhere to the rules set out renders your exam result invalid
Verify that your computer meets the requirements before registering for the EDIC Part I exam. The following material is required:
- A strong and stable internet connection.
- A webcam, speaker and microphone (headsets/earphones are not allowed).
- Smartphones or tablets are not allowed to take the exam.
Check all the specific technical requirements available at this link.
It is highly recommended that you check all the system requirements and verify you have the necessary equipment to take the exam
Book your exam time slot
You will receive a letter via email with the link to sign up and create an account with ProctorU. It will allow you to book your exam time slot.
You will need a new user account and select the institution “CYIM”. You may proceed with your booking two weeks before the exam day in order to ensure you have the most convenient time slot for you.
Failure to book a time slot will mean that you are unable to take the exam
Step 2: exam day
It is highly recommended that before the exam session begins you:
- Restart your computer/laptop completely. Remember that smartphones, tablets or other devices are not allowed to take the exam.
- Ensure you have no technical problems. All issues must be solved well in advance of the appointment time.
- Close all unnecessary browsers and unallowed applications.
- Have ready the requested documents for the identity check (ID or passport and invitation letter with all the information you will need to take the exam).
- Turn your camera and microphone on and wait to start the proctor checking and verification.
- The entire exam will be recorded by ProctorU® and monitored continuously.
Candidates that are late will not be eligible to sit the exam
Start your exam
- Once the proctor checking and verification are completed you can start the exam. It can take some minutes.
- You have 3 hours to complete the whole exam.
- Take your time to read each question, but you are not allowed to read it aloud.
- In case of doubts, you can skip a question and continue. You can tag it /flag it as a reminder that you can go back and respond.
- There is a zoom option to enlarge the pictures, graphs and curves provided.
- Review all answers before submitting your exam.
- If you experience a technical problem during the exam, you are requested to notify the proctor by speaking to him/her or via chat.
- If you get disconnected or temporarily lose your Internet connection, you will be able to reconnect again.
- Once you have finished, alert the proctor via the chatbox.
- Submit your exam.
- Log out your exam site and browser by clicking on the “log out button”.
- After reviewing your results, your proctor must observe you log out of the exam website and close out of all browser tabs.
- The use of unauthorised materials, including mobile devices, connected watches, prewritten notes or books, is prohibited.
- The use of any recording equipment is prohibited.
- The proctor is the sole person with whom candidates may communicate while the exam is in progress.
- Speaking aloud during the exam is not permitted. Only if strictly necessary.
- The candidates cannot be out of camera view.
- No breaks are allowed throughout the whole duration of the exam.
- Taking pictures, screenshots or trying to copy/paste any element of the exam content is strictly prohibited.
- Candidates must behave in an appropriate manner. Any conduct that the proctor deems to be vulgar, offensive, pornographic, obscene, abusive or criminal is strictly prohibited.
Suspicious actions are flagged in the online proctoring system and will be reported to the EDIC Committee
If any suspicious activity is detected on the part of any candidate, the exam session will be terminated and will be invalidated. The registration fees will not be refunded.
Any violation of the EDIC Online Examination Regulations mentioned above can lead to sanctions as described in the Online Proctoring Examination Terms & Conditions.
- The EDIC Candidates are expected to read, understand and accepted the Online Proctoring Examinations Terms & Conditions.
- People who failed the written exam must wait at least one year prior to being allowed to sit the written exam again.
- All candidates should receive an automatic electronic response when registration is complete. This message is NOT a confirmation that the candidate has a guaranteed seat. Your seat at the EDIC Part I exam is only guaranteed after the validation of your application by the office (by the closing date of applications).
- Candidates should wait for validation before making any work arrangements.
- Candidates credit cards are not charged by ESICM until the validation process is complete. Note that some financial institutions may provisionally deduct the fee immediately upon entering the credit card data during registration, these funds are held by the individual bank – not ESICM, so any issues must be resolved by the candidate with their own bank.