The NEXT committee and its members play a pivotal role in the success of the ESICM’s annual congress, LIVES.
What this year’s congress can offer young intensivists?
- Unite and represent the young generation of intensive care physicians
- Assess the needs of young intensivists and provide a platform for information and exchange
- Adapt educational resources and congress programmes to the needs of our generation
- The pre-congress courses and Masterclasses, which offer many opportunities to interact with experts
- Enlarge and empower the young community of ESICM
- ICabed4U – now in its second year, a dedicated Facebook page, where colleagues in Berlin with mattresses and guest rooms to spare are matched with congress attendees seeking bed and breakfast.
- Discuss, question and meet with those who carry out ground-breaking research and the authors of our eLearning modules.
Hear the NEXT Chair describe more good reasons to attend the congress.
NEXT @ LIVES
Looking for Accommodation @ LIVES 2019?
Welcome to ICaBed4U!
Are you looking for a place to stay in Berlin during LIVES 2019?
Or perhaps you live in the Berlin area & have extra space in your home to host someone attending the congress?
ICaBed4U has been created by ESICM, for all nursing and allied health professionals and members in training looking to connect and share accommodation information for the upcoming annual congress 28 September-2 October 2019 at the City Cube.
WANT TO JOIN?
Members can sign up as a host or a user, using our dedicated ICaBed4U Facebook group (The page will open mid of June).
NEED MORE INCENTIVE?
ESICM is offering the hosts of the first 20 successful “matches” FREE entry to LIVES 2019!
The NEXT Lounge at the LIVES congress exhibition offers NEXT members a place to network, enjoy a parallel scientific programme and challenge themselves.
LIVES 2019 – NEXT LOUNGE PROGRAMME HIGHLIGHTS
- Opening reception
Kick off the congress with keynotes and surprises during the opening session
- NEXT Happy Hour
Connect with NEXT in the lounge following the opening session, and daily afternoons during the core congress
- NEXT Blackboard Lectures
Learn from experts daily
- NEXT 2025: The future of intensive care
Join the intensivists of tomorrow! Let’s shape the future of intensive care medicine together to keep pace with technology advancements and scientific discoveries!
- NEXT Lunch Session & Quiz
- NEXT My case reviewed by an expert
Get a speaker from one of the coolest session of the day in the hot seat for a complementary talk with increased time for Q&A
- NEXT Challenging debate
Hot practical topics, interactive discussion with International experts
- NEXT & DPD
Audience’s choice on all topics concerning professional development
- NEXT Young Lecturer Award presentations & awards
Saturday 28th September
NEXT & CD Section Master Class
What’s NEXT in haemodynamics?
- Gennaro De Pascale,Italy, Consultant, NEXT congress representative
- Björn Weiss, Germany, Consultant, Chair of ESICM NEXT
- Thomas Scheeren, The Netherlands, MD, PhD, Department of Anaesthesiology University Medical Centre Groningen, Chair Cardiovascular Dynamics (CD) Section, ESICM
Key Programme Content
- Refresher on cardiovascular physiology of the systemic and pulmonary circulation
- Arterial blood pressure curve pathophysiology
- Assessing and using cardiac output
- Recognise shock
- Estimate patient`s oxygen needs
- Meaning of static and functional haemodynamic variables
- Getting the picture together: Improving organ perfusion
- Case Based Discussions: Sepsis, pneumonia, ARDS; Post-operative instability; Acute heart failure, pulmonary hypertension; Trauma
For more information about registration, see the LIVES 2019 webpages.
Key Reasons to attend
Build upon your knowledge of cardiovascular haemodynamics
Share knowledge with experts & peers and debate cases with common pathologies such as sepsis, post-operative haemodynamic instability, left- and right heart failure, trauma, pulmonary embolism
Get an overview of current haemodynamic monitoring technologies
Get new insights in microcirculation, tissue oxygenation & perfusion
Complement your knowledge & skills acquired at bedside during the haemodynamic monitoring fellowship
An application has been made to the UEMS EACCME® for CME accreditation of this event
Social media: @ESICM #NEXT #CD #cardio
How to apply?
Applications for the 2019 YLA will open soon.
Applicants are asked to provide a brief CV (2 sides A4) delineating teaching/lecturing activities.
2. Letter of recommendation
A letter of recommendation is required from a senior member of the candidate’s institution.
3. Structured letter of motivation
What makes a good lecturer? (100 words)
Why should the ESICM award you with the young teaching award? (100 words)
4. Proposed topic
The six highest scoring candidates will be selected as finalists. The selection panel decision is final.
Young Lecturer Award 2019 @LIVES2019
NEXT Young Lecturer Award
Applications for the 2019 YLA will open soon.
The Young Lecturer Award (YLA) has been formulated to showcase excellent examples of teaching among young intensive care professionals. It is a unique opportunity for intensive care professionals with an interest in education to demonstrate their skills and have their expertise recognised.
Who is eligible to apply for the YLA?
Intensive Care professionals with a demonstrable interest in critical care education who are ESICM members and < 40 years
who are specialising in intensive care medicine and have a minimum of 2 years clinical experience in intensive care
Experience as nurse/AHP for a minimum of 2 years in intensive care
What is necessary for application?
Interested ESICM members should complete and submit the application form during the registration period.
Additionally, applicants are required to provide a CV (2 pages), letter of recommendation and a structured letter of motivation.
- Applicant has registered for conference (necessary pre-requisite to participate)
- Applicant is member of ESICM (necessary prerequisite to participate)
Six finalists will be selected on their CV, teaching experience, letters of recommendation and application form. They will be invited to give a 20 minute presentation at the LIVES 2019 NEXT Lounge on Monday or Tuesday in English. Interaction with the audience is encouraged.
The title of the presentation will be on the theme of “The most important lesson for a first year ICM professional”. The finalists are allowed to decide on their preferred topic and will be asked to design and deliver the presentation.
A laptop, projector and blackboard will be provided.
The jury will consist of ESICM NEXT Committee members, congress faculty members and trainees.
The winner will be announced at a presentation during the congress by the ESICM President and he/she will receive free registration for LIVES 2020.