Submit your abstract here
Abstract extended deadline: 17 May 2021
The Congress Committee of LIVES 2021, the 34th Annual Congress of the European Society of Intensive Care Medicine, welcomes the submission of abstracts of original contribution to the field.
DEADLINE: The abstract submission system will close on 17 May 2021, 23:59 CET. This abstract receipt deadline is firm and any abstracts received after the deadline will not be accepted.
Abstract submitters will receive an e-mail confirmation immediately after submitting their abstract. If you do not receive this e-mail, please contact the Abstract Department.
LIVES 2021 Abstract Awards
Five Best Abstracts Awards
Presenters of the 5 best abstracts will receive an award including free registration to LIVES 2022 (core congress) plus travel and accommodation (up to 1,000 Euro).
Twenty-five Best Abstracts Awards
Presenters of the other 25 best abstracts will receive an award including free registration to LIVES 2022 (core congress).
Three N&AHP Abstract Awards
The N&AHP best abstract award includes:
- one free registration to LIVES 2022 (core congress) plus travel and accommodation (up to 1.000 Euro).
- two runners-up will receive free registrations to LIVES 2022 (core congress).
One ISF Abstract Award
The ISF Abstract Award includes free registration to LIVES 2022 (core congress) plus travel and accommodation (up to 500 Euro).
Instruction for Abstract Preparation
Please read the instructions carefully before submitting your abstract. All abstracts must be submitted in English and must be submitted electronically. No paper abstracts will be accepted. Abstracts not prepared correctly will not be considered for review.
Abstract authors should not split data to create several abstracts from one data set. If splitting is deemed to have occurred related abstracts may be reduced or simply rejected.
The submitted abstracts will be examined anonymously by the ESICM Congress Committee. The authors will be informed of acceptance/rejection of their abstract by e-mail at the end of June 2021.
All abstracts selected for presentation at the Congress will be presented either in the form of an oral or an e-poster presentation and will be published in the ICMx Journal.
Abstracts must be submitted in English and should not exceed 3,000 characters, including spaces. The abstract title, the list of authors and the references are not part of this count.
Images and tables may be included in the abstract.
Abstracts should not include data that is already published.
Abstracts should be as informative as possible and should be adequately ordered in the following sequence and structure:
- GRANT ACKNOWLEDGMENT
All accepted abstracts will be presented in e-poster form. A limited number of accepted abstracts will also be selected by the Scientific Committee for oral presentation. Instructions for e-posters and oral presentations will be sent to the corresponding authors after the review process.
Preference will be given to new and/or ongoing work.
Abstracts are to be submitted using the online Abstract Submission System only. ESICM does not accept submission of abstracts by mail, fax or email.
Abstracts should not contain proprietary or confidential information.
The presenting author must be registered for the Congress in order for his / her abstract to be accepted.
Please do not submit multiple copies of the same abstract.
1. Acute Kidney Injury and haemofiltration
1.1. Acute Kidney Injury clinical studies
1.2. Acute Kidney Injury experimental studies
1.3. Acute Kidney Injury monitoring
2. Acute respiratory failure and ventilation
2.1. Acute Respiratory Failure clinical studies
2.2. Acute Respiratory Failure experimental studies
2.3. Acute Respiratory Failure monitoring
2.4. Artificial airways and complications
2.5. Mechanical Ventilation clinical studies
2.6. Mechanical Ventilation experimental studies
2.7. Mechanical Ventilation monitoring
2.8. Non-invasive Ventilation
3. AIDS, haematologic-oncologic issues in the ICU
4. Cardiac arrest
4.1. Cardiac arrest clinical studies
4.2. Cardiac arrest experimental studies
5. Cardiovascular issues in ICU
5.1. Cardiovascular clinical studies
5.2. Cardiovascular experimental studies
5.3. Cardiovascular monitoring
6. Critical care organisation, quality management, outcomes
6.1. Critical care organisation, quality management and cost issues
6.2. Critical care outcomes
6.3. Critical care severity-of-disease scoring systems
7. ICU information systems
8. Imaging in intensive care
9. Infections and prevention
10.1. Sepsis clinical studies
10.2. Sepsis experimental studies
10.3. Sepsis monitoring
11. Metabolism, endocrinology, liver failure and nutrition
11.1. Metabolism, endocrinology and nutrition clinical studies
11.2. Metabolism, endocrinology and nutrition experimental studies
11.3. Metabolism, endocrinology and nutrition monitoring
11.4. Liver failure
12. Neurointensive care
12.1. Neurointensive clinical studies
12.2. Neurointensive care experimental studies
12.3. Neurointensive care monitoring
13. Nursing care and physiotherapy
15. Perioperative clinical studies
15.1. Perioperative clinical studies
15.2. Perioperative monitoring
17. Sedation, analgesia and delirium
17.1. Sedation, analgesia and delirium: clinical studies
17.2. Sedation, analgesia and delirium: experimental studies
18. Systemic diseases
19. Transfusion and haemostasis disorders
20.1. Trauma clinical studies
20.2. Trauma experimental studies
21.1. Ethics and end of life care
21.2. Brain death, organ donation and transplantation
22. Data Science
23. Translational Biology
- Submission of an abstract constitutes a formal commitment by the author to present the abstract in the session and at the time decided upon by the Congress Committee. One of the co-authors can take over if needed. Failure to present the abstract, for other than duly motivated reasons, will lead to rejection of abstract submission at the next ESICM Event.
- Registration fees for the presenting author will not be waived.
- It is the authors' responsibility to submit abstracts in perfect order with no errors in spelling and grammar. Abstracts will not be corrected.
- ESICM does not accept case reports.
- The authors agree that ESICM will publish abstracts in the ICMx Journal and record the presentation for subsequent use, as it deems appropriate.
- The signing author certifies that any work with human or animal subjects related in this abstract complies with the guiding principles for experimental procedures, as set forth in the Declaration of Helsinki and related publications.
- Submitting an abstract also certifies that at the time of submission, the scientific material found within the abstract has not been presented at any other meeting and will not be published in any form other than abstract form prior to the ESICM Annual Congress.
Failure to adhere to these rules will result in the automatic rejection of the abstract.