DEADLINE: The abstract submission system will close on 30 July 2020, 23:59 CEST. This abstract receipt deadline will remain firm and any abstracts received after the deadline will not be accepted.
Abstract submitters will receive an e-mail confirmation immediately after submitting their abstract. If you do not receive this e-mail, please contact the Abstract Department.
The Congress Committee of LIVES 2020, the 33rd Annual Congress of the European Society of Intensive Care Medicine, welcomes the submission of abstracts concerning any original contribution to the field of ICM.
LIVES 2020 Abstract Awards
Five Best Abstract Awards
Presenters of the 5 best abstracts will receive an award of one free registration to LIVES 2021 (core congress) plus travel and accommodation (up to 1,000 Euro).
Three N&AHP Best Abstract Awards
Presenters of the 3 best N&AHP abstracts will receive one of the following:
- one free registration to LIVES 2021 (core congress) plus travel and accommodation (up to 1,000 Euro)
- two runners-up will receive free registrations to LIVES 2021 (core congress)
One ISF Abstract Award
The presenter of the best ISF abstract will receive an award of one free registration to LIVES 2021 (core congress) plus travel and accommodation (up to 500 Euro).
Instructions for Abstract Preparation
Please read the instructions carefully before submitting your abstract. All abstracts must be submitted electronically, in English. No paper abstracts will be accepted. Abstracts not prepared correctly will not be considered for review.
Abstract authors should not split data to create several abstracts from one data set. If splitting is deemed to have occurred, scores of related abstracts may be reduced or abstracts simply rejected.
The submitted abstracts will be examined anonymously by the ESICM Congress Committee. The authors will be informed of acceptance/rejection of their abstract by e-mail in September 2020.
All abstracts selected for presentation at the Congress will be accepted either for oral presentation, or e-poster presentation and will be published in the ICMx Journal.
- Abstracts must be submitted in English and should not exceed 3000 characters.
- Images and tables may be included in the abstract.
- Do not submit abstracts reporting data already published.
- Abstracts should be as informative as possible and structured as follows:
- All accepted abstracts will be presented in e-poster form. A limited number of accepted abstracts will also be selected by the Scientific Committee for oral presentation. Instructions for e-posters and oral presentations will be sent to the corresponding authors after the review process.
- Preference will be given to new and/or ongoing work.
- Abstracts are to be submitted using the online Abstract Submission System only. ESICM does not accept submission of abstracts by mail, fax or email.
- Abstracts should not contain proprietary or confidential information.
- The presenting author of an accepted abstract must be registered to attend the Congress.
- Please do not submit multiple copies of the same abstract.
- Acute Kidney Injury and haemofiltration
1.1. Acute Kidney Injury clinical studies
1.2. Acute Kidney Injury experimental studies
1.3. Acute Kidney Injury monitoring
- Acute respiratory failure and ventilation
2.1. Acute respiratory failure clinical studies
2.2. Acute respiratory failure experimental studies
2.3. Acute respiratory failure monitoring
2.4. Artificial airways and complications
2.5. Mechanical ventilation clinical studies
2.6. Mechanical ventilation experimental studies
2.7. Mechanical ventilation monitoring
2.8. Non-invasive ventilation
- AIDS, haematologic-oncologic issues in the ICU
- Cardiac arrest
4.1. Cardiac arrest clinical studies
4.2. Cardiac arrest experimental studies
- Cardiovascular issues in ICU
5.1. Cardiovascular clinical studies
5.2. Cardiovascular experimental studies
5.3. Cardiovascular monitoring
- Critical care organisation, quality management and outcomes
6.1. Critical care organisation, quality management and costing issues
6.2. Critical care outcomes
6.3. Critical care severity of disease scoring system
- ICU information systems
- Imaging in intensive care
- Infections and prevention
10.1. Sepsis clinical studies
10.2. Sepsis experimental studies
10.3. Sepsis monitoring
- Metabolism, endocrinology, liver failure and nutrition
11.1. Metabolism, endocrinology and nutrition clinical studies
11.2. Metabolism, endocrinology and nutrition experimental studies
11.3. Metabolism, endocrinology and nutrition monitoring
11.4. Liver failure
- Neurointensive care
12.1. Neurointensive clinical studies
12.2. Neurointensive care experimental studies
12.3. Neurointensive care monitoring
- Nursing care and physiotherapy
- Perioperative clinical studies
15.1. Perioperative clinical studies
15.2. Perioperative monitoring
- Poisoning/Toxicology /Pharmacology
- Sedation, analgesia and delirium
17.1. Sedation, analgesia and delirium: clinical studies
17.2. Sedation, analgesia and delirium: experimental studies
- Systemic diseases
- Transfusion and haemostasis disorders
20.1. Trauma clinical studies
20.2. Trauma experimental studies
21.1. Ethics and end of life care
21.2. Brain death, organ donation and transplantation
- Data Science
- Submission of an abstract constitutes a formal commitment by the author to present the abstract in the session and at the time decided upon by the Congress Committee. One of the co-authors can take over if needed. Failure to present the abstract, other than for legitimate reasons, will lead to rejection of abstract submission at the next ESICM Event.
- Registration fees for the presenting author will not be waived.
- It is the authors' responsibility to submit abstracts in perfect order with no errors in spelling and grammar. Abstracts will not be corrected.
- ESICM does not accept case reports.
- The authors agree that ESICM will publish abstracts in the ICMx Journal and record the presentation for subsequent use, as it deems appropriate.
- The signing author certifies that any work with human or animal subjects related in this abstract complies with the guiding principles for experimental procedures, as set forth in the Declaration of Helsinki and related publications.
- Submitting an abstract also certifies that at the time of submission, the scientific material found within the abstract had not been presented at any other meeting and had not been published in any form other than abstract form prior to the ESICM Annual Congress.
Failure to adhere to these rules will result in the automatic rejection of the abstract.