The Art of Trauma Care
Master Class Directors:
Jacques DURANTEAU MD, PhD, Professor in Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care and Head of the Neurosurgical and Surgical Intensive Care Unit of Bicêtre Hospital University, Paris, France
Sophie HAMADA MD, MSc, Specialist in Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, Neurosurgical and Surgical Intensive Care Unit, Bicêtre University Hospital; President and co-founder of Traumabase national registry (traumabase.eu), and responsible for the “Security, Protection and Quality of Data” Group, Paris, France
Endorsement: The Art of Trauma Care Master Class is endorsed by Trauma and Emergency Medicine (TEM) Section, ESICM.
This 2-day e-Master Class, led by a multidisciplinary panel of international experts aims to prepare participants to manage trauma patients – from the pre-hospital or “ground zero” stage to OR and ICU. It will review foundational surgical and resuscitation strategies and utilise clinical scenarios and live simulations to ensure attendees are up-to-date on the most recent trauma practice. Due to the current uncertain context, the master class will be held virtually, leveraging agile virtual environments and responsive, innovative solutions. Join us in this new adventure!
After registering for the event, ensure you access the pre-course materials available for study in the dedicated online classroom on the ESICM Academy.
Please note that ONLY registered participants can access the dedicated classroom.
Social media: @ESICM #trauma
An application will be made to the UEMS EACCME® for CME accreditation of this event.
- Basic concepts including definition and principles of surgical and resuscitation DCS
- Securing airways in unstable trauma patient
- Early shock resuscitation: fluids, vasopressors and transfusion strategies
- Haemorrhage control: operation room or angiography suite
- Immunologic response to severe trauma
- Management of penetrating trauma
- Severe abdominal & pelvic trauma
- Severe thoracic trauma
- Severe traumatic brain injury
- Meet a multidisciplinary panel of international experts
- Be part of a unique master class consisting of clinical scenarios, simulations and interactive exercises on trauma care from ground zero to OR and ICU
- Share your experience and learn from peers and experts
- To review the principles of surgical and resuscitation damage control strategy (DCS)
- To understand how to secure the airway in an unstable trauma patient
- To learn the principles of early shock resuscitation and haemorrhage control
- To recognise the immunologic response to severe trauma
- To describe the management of penetrating trauma
- To analyse the DCS principles in different traumatic injuries
Junior & senior physicians and nurses with a special interest in trauma.
Highlights from previous editions
We just concluded our e-Master Class on the Art of Trauma Care, with 11 experts & 67 participants from 23 countries. Special guests, our colleagues from Ukraine!
Among the sessions, we also focused on the treatment of war injury with the support of a military doctor.
Here is what our participants enjoyed most about the experience:
- The online version really helps as I could not have travelled. I felt it was very interactive and useful. There were so many papers being put up in real-time that I could access and read. Really useful.
- Thank you for this great organisation!
- It was a very well-conducted course. Grateful to all colleagues for their valuable advice and for sharing their experiences.
Despite the uncertain context, the third edition of The Art of Trauma Care Master Class has just wrapped up, this time virtually! A total of 10 experts and 69 participants from 22 countries engaged in interactive activities and case-based discussions.
Here are some of their comments on what they liked best about their experience:
- Great course! Totally worth it! Learned a lot! Many thanks to all!
- Exceptional Master Class, great faculty, superb organisation!
- Thank you very much for an excellent Master Class again. I learned a lot about trauma management with top experts!
- Great course and grateful for the online platform as it would have been very hard to travel
The 2nd edition of The Art of Trauma Care Master Class has just wrapped up. A total of 13 experts and 50 participants from 17 countries came together for 2 days at the ESICM Training Centre in Brussels. Here are some of their comments on what they liked best about their experience:
- It was highly educational and fun at the same time. Experts were very enthusiastic.
- Share knowledge and discuss very interesting topics with European experts – bring knowledge from a local to a international level
- Workshops, very good feedback from experts and a friendly attitude
- Friendly environment, hands-on workshops, not too much theoretical presentations
- One of the few events I have been to where organizers were able to stick to the schedule very punctually.
The 1st edition of The Art of Trauma Care Master Class has just wrapped up. A total of 13 experts and 51 participants from 17 countries came together for 2 days at the ESICM Training Centre in Brussels. Here are some of their comments on what they liked best about their experience:
- Great pedagogic strategy! Thank you for breaking the rules 🙂 Clinical case scenarios where very useful, the brainstorming, teambuilding and decision-making training were the best of it.
- We are already putting up some new organisation in my ER, applying some pieces of advice we got from the sessions.
- Practical approach, well explained modules, very good scenarios.
- No negative aspects. Maybe more time in the simulation