The Research Committee represents the research interests and activities of ESICM. It aims to foster, design, and execute high quality multidisciplinary research in ICM. Plan of action includes initiation, facilitation, integration, and support of research projects conducted by members, sections or research groups of ESICM. The Research Committee provides a mechanism for these research groups to interact within ESICM, with external collaborating individuals and groups. The Research Committee is the responsible body for managing this interaction.
The members of the ESICM Research Committee include:
- Chairperson of the Research Committee
- One representative from each Section (elected by the voting members of the Section)
- The Chairperson of the Congress Committee
- The Chairperson of the Education & Training Committee
- One representative of the N&AHP Committee
- Two representatives of NEXT
- Ex officio other committee Chairs, project leaders, Officers or advisors upon proposal of the Chairperson
The Chairperson of the Research Committee is:
- The deputy Chair of the Division of Scientific Affairs. If the Division Chair is unavailable, the Chairperson of the Research Committee will be expected to deputise, as necessary.
- The Chairperson of the Research Committee is also the Chairperson of the ESICM Trials Group.
- An ex officio member of the Executive Committee and Council.
- To design and facilitate high quality multidisciplinary research in intensive care medicine
- To power the ESICM Trials Group.
- To contribute to the development of the Congress programmes and other scientific activities
- To evaluate projects submitted for endorsement or support, according to the set procedure.
- The Research Committee is responsible for evaluating the scientific excellence of the submitted projects. The committee may require all members to participate in this process, or may devolve the responsibility to a smaller sub-group.
- The Chairperson of the ESICM Research Committee is specifically responsible for all the research activities of the ESICM, including acting as the Chair of the ESICM Trials Group and coordination of activities with the Systematic Review Group.
The Research Committee also co-ordinates the ESICM Awards programme.