Dates: 13-14 June, 2023
Level 2. Transition Course (application) in Haemodynamics will build on Level 1. Foundation Course and will provide participants with a solid view of the field of cardiovascular physiology, assessment of tissue oxygenation, fluid therapy and more. A high level of interaction is the core feature of these 2 days of learning. After registering for the event, ensure you access the dedicated online classroom on the ESICM Academy.
Continue your learning journey with the face-to-face Level 3. Advanced Master Course at LIVES in Milan.
Registrations close 11 June, 2023
Social media: @ESICM #haemodynamics
- Michelle CHEW MD, PhD, Professor Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, Linköping University Hospital, Linköping, Sweden
- Xavier MONNET MD, PhD, Professor of Intensive Care, Medical Intensive Care Unit, Bicêtre Hospital, Paris-Saclay University Hospitals, Paris, France; Chair Cardiovascular Dynamics Section, ESICM
Endorsement: The Course is endorsed by the Cardiovascular Dynamics Section, ESICM.
- to analyze and apply physiological concepts related to tissue oxygenation
- to understand and analyze PCO2–derived indices
- to understand and analyze SvO2
- to understand and apply the echocardiographic assessment of LV contractility, LV filling pressures, the right heart and fluid responsiveness and LV filling pressure with echocardiography
- to understand the assessment of the right heart with echocardiography
- to apply and analyse advanced monitoring: pulmonary artery catheter
- to apply and analyse advanced monitoring: transpulmonary thermodilution
- to evaluate the suitability of non-invasive cardiac output monitoring
- to analyse and apply the appropriate use of CVP
- to evaluate the most appropriate haemodynamic monitor for the ICU patient
- to recall basics in physiology: heart-lung interactions
- to evaluate the use of levosimendan and inotropes for shock
- to evaluate the use of vasopressors beyond norepinephrine
- to understand and apply how fluid responsiveness may be evaluated using heart-lung interactions
- to understand and apply fluid responsiveness by mimicking a fluid challenge
- to apply and analyze a fluid challenge test
- to understand weaning failure from cardiac origin
- to analyze and evaluate the physiological concepts of fluid infusions
- Physiology of tissue oxygenation
- Physiology of heart-lung interactions
- Physiology of venous return
- PCO2-derived indices
- Assessment of fluid responsiveness with heart-lung interactions
- Assessment of fluid responsiveness by mimicking a fluid challenge
- Steroids in septic shock
- Other vasopressors
- Central venous pressure
- Assessment of cardiac contractility
- Assessment of LV filling pressure
- Assessment of the right heart
- Fluid responsiveness
- Integrative treatment of septic shock
- Integrative treatment of cardiogenic shock
- Intensivists who have completed Level 1
- Intensivists seeking a thorough approach in Haemodynamics
- Senior intensivists wanting a comprehensive review course on the topic
IMPORTANT! A total of 10 places will be offered for FREE to participants coming from Low and Middle Income Countries (LMIC), as per the World Bank classification.If you are interested to apply for an LMIC place, send us your letter of interest and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants from LMIC may be selected for a maximum of 3 ESICM eCourses for FREE every year. Applicants who have participated in 1 eCourse as a free LMIC applicant need to have an active ESICM membership for the current year before applying again. Deadline for LMIC applications: May 22, 2023.
Transition course (application) in Haemodynamics, 13/06/2023-14/06/2023 has been granted 14 European CME credits (ECMEC®s) by the European Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (EACCME®).
Highlights of previous editions
This year’s virtual edition saw a total of 14 experts and 100 participants from 37 countries immersed in haemodynamics thanks to the wide variety of interactive formats employed: from lectures and focus to interviews and clinical scenarios through 2D Virtual Reality.
- I wish I’d done this years ago!
- An amazing and really high-level Master Class
- A great honour to learn from you. Thank you very much for such amazing lectures.
- Thank you so much for organising! ESICM is really an amazing source for intensivists all over the world.
2021 – November
Thanks to its incredible success, we held a second, virtual edition of the Haemodynamic Monitoring Master Class! A total of 14 experts and 78 participants from 26 countries engaged in this highly interactive course.
- Thanks to all professors and the organizers and all the participants for this amazing course
- Despite world time, I learnt a lot, that was so good to improve my knowledge about hemodynamics, thanks a lot
- Thank you so much for 3 great days!
- Thanks to all, I learned a lot
2021 – April
Despite the uncertain context, the third edition of the Haemodynamic Monitoring Master Class has just wrapped up, this time virtually! A total of 11 experts and 83 participants from 25 countries engaged in interactive activities and case-based discussions. Here are some of their comments on this innovative educational format:
- Thank you very much to all the excellent faculty and all participants, I learnt a lot.
- Excellent masterclass as always!
- Thank you Master Speakers! Thank you all! Great experience!
- It was an amazing Master Class with high-level of knowledge with top experts
The 2nd edition of the Haemodynamic Monitoring Master Class has just wrapped up. A total of 13 experts and 54 participants from 19 countries came together for 3 days at the ESICM Training Centre in Brussels. Here are some of their comments on what they liked best about their experience:
- Everything went well. Excellent organisation and speakers, with great proximity between all the participants.
- Opportunity to learn very closely from world experts on haemodynamics. The structural progression from basic to advanced concepts.
- Experts bringing together physiology with evidence; motivated team; a combination of lecture, group work, hands-on
- The friendly, open environment to have different opinions and be respected. Talks about physiology and up to date clinical approaches !!! Great. The class was a big kick-off to make better step towards the clinical practice and treatment of seriously sick patients.
- Its clinical relevance
- Perfect balance between theoretical sessions and hands-on! Q&A with papers was very efficient because many people don’t like to speak.
The 1st edition of the Haemodynamic Monitoring Master Class has just wrapped up. A total of 14 experts and 51 participants from 22 countries came together for 2 days at the ESICM Training Centre in Brussels. Here are some of their comments on what they liked best about their experience:
- Excellent speakers!
- Practical simulation workshops with manikins and web-based interactive case scenarios
- Leading expert presence, Interactivity, Clinical cases discussions, Simulation scenarios
- High degree of clinical applicability of the presented material
- Personally I would have liked more time practicing with the echocardiography mannequin