The use of ultrasound in intensive care has become an essential component of our practice.
Although international guidelines on competencies exist, few countries have managed to translate this guidance into an accessible, well-structured educational programme for clinicians.
The ESICM General Intensive care Ultrasound (GENIUS) course is a comprehensive, learner-centric course which aims to support colleagues in achieving the competencies described in the recently published ESICM guidelines on ultrasound competencies (Póvoa, P., Martin-Loeches, I., Duska, F. et al. Updated competency-based training in intensive care: next step towards a healthcare union in Europe?. Intensive Care Med (2022).)
The two-day training programme will offer hands-on learning, theoretical insights and case discussions with experts in critical care ultrasound. There will be ample opportunities to discuss and interact with colleagues who share a passion for critical care ultrasound, building learning as well as research networks.
In addition, the course is just part of a wider range of educational resources in core critical care ultrasound. These include modules on the ESICM Academy and a series of webinars.
Laura GALARZA MD, Consultant Intensive Care Medicine at General University Hospital Castellón, Spain
Adrian WONG MD, Consultant Intensive Care Medicine and Anaesthesia at Royal Surrey County Hospital, United Kingdom
- Jonathan ARON MD, Consultant in intensive care medicine and anaesthesia at St George’s University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust, London, United Kingdom
- Cosmin BALAN MD, Consultant Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, Carol Davila University of Medicine and Pharmacy, Bucharest, Romania
- Michelle CHEW MD, PhD, Professor Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine, Linköping University Hospital, Linköping, Sweden
- Bernard CHOLLEY MD, PhD, Professor, Service d’Anesthésie-Réanimation, Hôpital Européen Georges-Pompidou (Hôpitaux Universitaires Paris-Ouest), Paris, France
- Heinrich GROESDONK MD, Chief Physician Clinic, Interdisciplinary Intensive Care Medicine and Intermediate Care, Helios Klinik Blankenhain, Blankenhain, Germany
- Olfa HAMZAOUI MD PhD, Full professor of intensive care, Medical intensive care, Robert Debré Hospital, University Hospital Reims, Reims, France
- Oliver HUNSICKER MD, Consultant Intensive Care Medicine at the Department of Anaesthesiology and Intensive Care Medicine (CCM, CVK), Charité – Universitätsmedizin Berlin, Germany
- David PEREZ TORRES MD, Intensive Care Medicine, Hospital Universitario Río Hortega, Spain
- Chiara ROBBA MD, PhD, Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, IRCCS for Oncology, Genova, Italy
- Filippo SANFILIPPO MD, PhD, Anesthesia and Intensive Care Medicine Institute: Azienda Ospedaliera Universitaria Policlinico Vittorio Emanuele
- Aarti SARWAL MD, Professor, Neurology, Wake Forest Baptist Health in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States
- Michel SLAMA MD, Medical Intensive Care Unit, Amiens University Hospital; Université de Picardie Jules Verne, Amiens, France
- Pieter TUINMAN MD, Department of Intensive Care, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, Amsterdam, the Netherlands
- Ahmed ZAHER MD, Clinical Fellow, Oxford University Hospitals NHS Foundation, Oxford, United Kingdom
- Mateusz ZAWADKA MD, PhD, Anaesthesia and Intensive Care Department, Central Teaching Hospital, Warsaw, Poland
- Echocardiography: Describe, perform and interpret transthoracic cardiac ultrasound for the recognition and assessment of common conditions and clinical syndromes
- Thoracic: Describe, perform and interpret thoracic and pleural ultrasound
- Abdominal: Describe, perform and interpret ultrasonographic assessment of the abdomen
- Neuro: Describe, perform and interpret basic neuro ultrasonography
- Vascular: Describe, perform and interpret basic vascular ultrasonography
- Integrate these individual modalities for a holistic assessment of the critically unwell patient
- Up-to-date discussions on the topic
- Interactive lectures with lots of hands-on
- Opportunities to interact and share experiences among participants and with the team of international experts that will be facilitating the course
- Focused ultrasound examination of the heart, lung, abdomen and neuro
- Hands-on scanning with expert faculty to consolidate learning
- Interactive case-based discussions, pathology quizzes and simulators
- Juniors physicians with an ICU background wishing to acquire or improve their core critical care ultrasound core competencies
- Senior intensivists seeking a refresher training programme in the field
The General Intensive Care Utrasound Course (Milan, Italy, 21/10/2023-22/10/2023) has been accredited by the European Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (EACCME®) for a maximum of 10 European CME credits (ECMEC®s).