Date: 5-6 September, 2023
Acute neurological disorders, such as traumatic brain injury or ischemic and haemorrhagic stroke, are amongst the most prevalent causes of death and disability worldwide. In addition, severe systemic insults such as sepsis or severe shock often affect the brain. Caring for patients with critical neurological and neurosurgical conditions is challenging, and requires a unique set of skills.
The eCourse on Mastering the Brain in Critical Conditions offers an advanced educational programme on the management of neuro-critically ill patients, and will cover a broad spectrum of topics, including basic pathophysiological principles, traditional and novel diagnostic and monitoring tools, updated treatment strategies, and realistic clinical scenarios.
After registering for the event, ensure you access the dedicated online classroom on the ESICM Academy.
- Geert MEYFROIDT MD, PhD Associate Professor, Intensive Care medicine, UZ Leuven, Campus Gasthuisberg, Leuven, Belgium; Past chair Neuro-Intensive Care Section, ESICM
- Chiara ROBBA MD, PhD Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, IRCCS for Oncology, Genova, Italy; Chair Neuro-Intensive Care Section, ESICM
Endorsement: This Course is endorsed by the Neuro-Intensive Care Section, ESICM.
- To assess pathophysiology of altered intracranial pressure, cerebral perfusion pressure and metabolism of the injured brain.
- To appraise types, indications, and limitations of neuromonitoring tools in the management of neurocritical care patients, including:
- intracranial pressure
- cerebral oxygenation
- transcranial doppler
- To select treatment strategies in traumatic and non-traumatic neuro emergencies, including:
- traumatic brain injury
- cerebrovascular diseases
- central nervous system infections
- To evaluate the systemic management of extracranial complications and the general ICU management of central nervous system injuries
- To integrate ethics in the long-term management of patients with brain injuries.
- Pathophysiology of altered intracranial pressure
- Cerebral perfusion pressure
- Metabolism of the injured brain.
- Neuromonitoring tools in the management of neurocritical care patients
- Treatment strategies in traumatic and non-traumatic neuro emergencies
- Systemic management of extracranial complications
- General ICU management of central nervous system injuries
- Junior physicians, nurses and allied healthcare professionals with an ICU background or a special interest in Neuro Intensive Care
IMPORTANT! A total of 10 places will be offered for FREE to participants coming from Low and Lower Middle Income Countries (LMIC), as per the World Bank classification. If you are interested to apply for an LMIC place, send us your letter of interest and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applicants from LMIC may be selected for a maximum of 3 ESICM eCourses for FREE every year. Applicants who have participated in 1 eCourse as a free LMIC applicant need to have an active ESICM membership for the current year before applying again. Deadline for LMIC applications: August 15, 2023.
An application will be made to the UEMS EACCME® for CME accreditation of this event.
Social media: @ESICM #NeuroIntensiveCare #NIC