Mechanical Ventilation – State of the Art
Dates: October 28-29 & November 5, 2021
Master Class Director: Leo HEUNKS MD, PhD Professor, Pneumologist-intensivist Department of Intensive Care Medicine, Amsterdam University Medical Centre, VUmc, Amsterdam, The Netherlands
VIP Guest: Luciano GATTINONI MD, PhD Professor, Anaesthesia and Intensive Care, University Hospital Göttingen – University Medical Center Göttingen, Göttingen, Germany
Endorsement: The Master Class is endorsed by the Acute Respiratory Failure Section, ESICM.
Social media: @ESICM #lung #mvSOTA
The Mechanical Ventilation – State of the Art, Brussels, Belgium, 28/10/2021-05/11/2021 has been accredited by the European Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (EACCME®) with 17 European CME credits (ECMEC®s). Each medical specialist should claim only those hours of credit that he/she actually spent in the educational activity.
- Meet a high-level faculty
- Be part of a unique, bench to bedside training experience that blends theory with practice, academic with clinical
- Improve your daily practice and acquire new perspectives on developing and research
- To review the respiratory physiology & understand the patient-ventilator interaction
- To comprehend and apply the principles of mechanical ventilation in ARDS, COPD & asthma patients
- To consolidate knowledge on how to manage the ventilated patients, from haemodynamic monitoring, to sedation and weaning protocols
- Physiology of Gas Exchange
- Respiratory Mechanics
- Mechanical Ventilation in Specific Categories (COPD, ARDS, Obesity)
- Patient-Ventilator Interaction
- Lung Recruitment & Setting PEEP
- Ventilatory modes
- Air Opening Pressure
- Mechanical Ventilation in COVID-19
- Assessing Respiratory Effort
- NIV or HFNT for hypoxemic failure
- Paralysis for severe ARDS
- When to start assisted mode
- How to predict successful extubation
- Complications of Mechanical Ventilation
- How to Wean My Patient
- Junior intensivists seeking a thorough approach in the treatment of mechanically ventilated patients
- Senior intensivists wanting a comprehensive refresher course
Highlights of previous editions
2021 – October/November
Thanks to its incredible success, we held a second, virtual edition of the Mechanical Ventilation Master Class! A total of 11 experts and 85 participants from 26 countries engaged in this highly interactive course.
Here are some of the participants’ comments about their experience:
- Great to have an opportunity to hear from leading experts in the field
- I have received a great deal to improve my culture and my clinical practice!
- Thank you for a fantastic course where we were able to learn from the experts and for the interactive programme allowing us to interact throughout
2021 – June
Despite the uncertain context, the third edition of the Mechanical Ventilation Master Class has just wrapped up, this time virtually! A total of 13 experts and 81 participants from 25 countries engaged in interactive activities and case-based discussions.
Here are some of their comments on this innovative educational format:
- I learnt a lot from all the experts and colleagues
- Thank you all so much, I felt I was 20 years younger and had to study for exams, amazing e-Master Class!
- These e-classes and the e-lives have been a fantastic boost for us all. Thanks to the Society!
- High-quality presentations and comments
A new edition of the Mechanical Ventilation – State of the Art 2019 Master Class has just has just wrapped up. A total of 10 experts and 50 participants from 21 countries came together for three days at the ESICM Training Centre in Brussels. Here are some of their comments on what they liked best about their experience:
- Extraordinary lecturers, interactive approach, our answers always discussed with further info from the experts and relevant supporting studies
- The experts, the workshops, white board sessions
- Small groups caffes, but I wish there was more time for each one
- I will make more use of the oesophageal pressure measurement available and I will discuss more bedside with my colleagues and ventilation practitioners next to the mechanical ventilator
- This event will influence my practice on use of driving pressure, time of prone positioning, better analysing ventilator curves, different methods of recruitment manouvers, maybe buying oesophageal catheter to measure oesophageal pressure
- More than one aspects to improve in my practice after this master class:) …Setting PEEP in ARDS but also in COPD patients; Use of driving pressure; More aggressive approach towards the patient recovering from ARDS with high tidal volumes (ie sedation instead of accepting high TV), while using P0,1 more often….
Social media: @ESICM #lung #mvSOTA
The 5th edition of the Mechanical Ventilation – State of the Art 2018 Master Class was yet another success! A total of 7 experts and 39 participants from 14 countries came together for 3 days at the ESICM Training Centre in Brussels. Here are some of their comments on what they liked best about their experience:
“High standard talks and interaction with experts and colleagues.”
“I think the course provided a broad range of subjects, which eventually covered the entire topic of mechanical ventilation.”
“The faculty were extremely knowledgeable and experienced. It was especially informative when they focused on discussing their current clinical practices, as informed by an intimate knowledge of the evidence base.”
“The proximity with the experts and also being able to consolidate the teaching later on, at our own pace by having the lectures/audio.”
“The lectures, shared experience, clinical scenarios, clinical based discussions”