JOINT EVENT EuroELSO & ESICM
Dates: March 14-15, 2024
The Foundation Course (introductory) in ECLS/ECMO will immerse the participants in the ECMO circuit, canulation for adult cardiac & respiratory ECMO, anticoagulation on ECMO, as well as fundamentals on ECMO for Adult Respiratory & Cardiac Failure. This e-Course is part of a joint EuroELSO & ESICM programme to provide specialised training in extracorporeal techniques to healthcare professionals interested in the field. Certificates may be validated at EuroELSO on the path to the ELSO Adult ECMO Practitioner Certification (E-AEC). After registering, ensure you access the dedicated online classroom on the ESICM Academy.
Continue your learning journey with the Advanced Master Course and Transition course.
- Daniel DE BACKER MD, PHD Head of Intensive Care and Emergency Departments, CHIREC Hospitals, Belgium, Professor of Intensive Care Medicine, Université Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium
- Leen VERCAEMST RN, ECCP, University Hospital Leuven, Belgium, EBCP-EuroELSO Liaison, Member of the EBCP Scientific Committee & EuroELSO Steering Committee
Core joint faculty
- Marta Velia ANTONINI CCP, CCN, MS – ECMO Team – AUSL Romagna; Adjunct Lecturer – Department of Biomedical, Metabolic and Neural Sciences, University of Modena & Reggio Emilia, Modena, Italy
- Nicholas BARRETT MD Consultant in critical care, Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust, London, United Kingdom; President of EuroELSO
- Lisa CARSON-PRICE BSc Senior Clinical Perfusionist, UHL NHS Trust, Nottinghamshire, United Kingdom; Scientific Committee, EuroELSO
- Alain COMBES MD PhD Professor of Intensive Care Medicine, Sorbonne Université, Paris; Head of ICU department, La Pitié-Salpêtrière Hospital, Assistance Publique Hopitaux de Paris, France
- Mauro COTZA ECMO Coordinator, staff Cardiovascular Perfusionist presso IRCCS Policlinico San Donato, Milan, Italy
- Dieter DAUWE MD PhD Cardiologist – Intensivist; Department of Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospitals Leuven; Assistant Professor KU Leuven; Belgium
- Roberto LORUSSO MD PHD Professor, Cardiac Surgery and Extracorporeal Life Support, Maastricht University Medical Centre (MUMC+) Cardiovascular Research Institute Maastricht (CARIM) Maastricht, The Netherlands
- Thomas MUELLER MD Prof. Head of Intensive Care, Department of Internal Medicine II, University Hospital Regensburg, Germany
- Jordi RIERA MD PhD Critical Care Department, Adult ECMO program Director,Vall d’Hebron University Hospital, Barcelona, Spain. EuroELSO Steering Committee, ELSO Scientific Oversight Committee
- Matthieu SCHMIDT MD PhD Professor of Intensive Care Medicine, Sorbonne University, Pitié-Salpêtrière hospital, Paris, France; Chair of the EuroELSO scientific committee.
- Christophe VANDENBRIELE MD PhD Royal Brompton & Harefield, Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust, London, United Kingdom
- Describe the different modes of ECMO support.
- List the key milestones in the development of ECMO.
- Define the main components of an ECMO circuit.
- Describe the differences in ECMO cannula design.
- List anticoagulation strategies on ECMO.
- Provide an overview of respiratory failure.
- List the indications and contraindications for VV ECMO support.
- Describe the steps in initiating a patient onto VV ECMO.
- Describe titration of blood flow and gas flow to achieve adequate support on VV ECMO.
- Define and identify recirculation.
- Provide an overview of cardiac failure.
- List the indications and contraindications for VA ECMO support.
- Describe the steps for initiating a patient.
- Describe vasopressor use and blood flow titration for cardiovascular support.
- What is ECMO/ECLS?
- Historical growth
- The ECMO circuit
- Canulation for adult cardiac & respiratory ECMO
- Anticoagulation on ECMO
- ECMO for Adult Respiratory Failure
- ECMO for Adult Cardiac Failure
A total of 5 fellowships will be conducted in centres around Europe, giving fellows the opportunity to experience ECLS/ECMO in real-life settings and learn directly from experts. Fellowship-related costs (accommodation and travel) up to 1000 EUR/fellow will be reimbursed by ESICM.
Eligibility for fellowships:
- Must be a member of the ESICM (so join us now if not already a member!)
- Must attend at least 2 levels of the Haemodynamics pathway within 1 year
- Fellowships will be awarded on basis of attendance at the course and highest performance in the post-course evaluation.
Fellowship center, dates and mentors to be confirmed at a later stage
Note! Priority will be given to those participants who haven’t benefitted from a fellowship on this topic before.
- Physicians involved or interested in ECMO
- Perfusionists and Nurses involved in ECMO or interested in respiratory vs circulatory support
IMPORTANT! A total of 10 places will be offered for FREE to participants coming from Low and Middle-Income Countries (LMIC), as per the World Bank classification. If you are interested to apply for an LMIC place, send us your letter of interest and CV to email@example.com. Applicants from LMIC may be selected for a maximum of 3 ESICM eCourses for FREE every year. Applicants who have participated in 1 eCourse as a free LMIC applicant need to have an active ESICM membership for the current year before applying again.
An application will be made to the UEMS EACCME® for CME accreditation of this event.
Highlights of previous sessions
The second edition of this educational collaboration with EuroELSO provided basic training in extracorporeal techniques to 83 participants from 20 countries by leveraging 2D Virtual Reality and other interactive formats! Here’s what participants liked most about it:
- Great speakers with a huge experience to share.
- It was very interactive and the clinical cases were very interesting and useful for clinical practitioners.
- Completeness! Every aspect has been addressed in detail.
- Interaction with experts and among themselves. Getting to know the practice around the world.
- High-quality slide presentations.
We are proud of this joint educational action with EuroELSO, which provided specialised training in extracorporeal techniques to 101 participants from 29 countries by leveraging 2D Virtual Reality and other interactive formats! See what participants liked most about the first edition of this innovative e-Master Class:
- Terrific two days. Wonderful interaction. See you in Madrid and/or London!
- This masterclass should be mandatory for everyone, who takes care ECMO patients, holistic, it was awesome.
- Thanks a lot for sharing knowledge and experience. Looking forward to seeing you in London!
- I am very glad to learn so much from such a great team. I am already enrolled in the hands-on workshop in Madrid next May. Thank you so much!
- Thank you all for this spectacular course