JOINT EVENT EuroELSO & ESICM
Format: Pre-congress course, LIVES 2023 (Milan, Italy)
Dates: 21-22 October, 2023
The Advanced Focus Session in ECLS/ECMO will integrate at advanced level topics such as Key principles of ECMO; How to enhance lung protection on VV-ECMO; Preventing and treatment of pulmonary edema on VA-ECMO. This focus session is part of a joint EuroELSO and ESICM learning programme to provide specialised training in extracorporeal techniques to healthcare professionals interested in the field. Certificates may be validated at EuroELSO on the path to the ELSO Adult ECMO Practitioner Certification (E-AEC).
Interactive lectures will alternate with clinical case discussions and practical demonstrations.
- Nicholas BARRETT MD Consultant in critical care, Guy’s and St Thomas’ NHS Foundation Trust, London, United Kingdom
- Matthieu SCHMIDT MD PhD Service de Médecine Intensive Réanimation, Institut de Cardiologie, Groupe Hospitalier Pitié-Salpêtrière, Assistance Publique-Hôpitaux de Paris, Paris, France
Core joint faculty
- Marta Velia ANTONINI CCP, CCN, MS – ECMO Team – AUSL Romagna; Adjunct Lecturer – Department of Biomedical, Metabolic and Neural Sciences, University of Modena & Reggio Emilia, Modena, Italy
- Jan BĚLOHLÁVEK MD PhD, Cardiologist, intensivist, Chief Physician, 2nd Department of Internal Medicine – Clinic of Cardiology and Angiology, First Faculty of Medicine Charles University in Prague and General University Hospital in Prague, Prague, Czech Republic; Past President of EuroELSO
- Dieter DAUWE MD, PhD – Cardiologist – Intensivist; Department of Intensive Care Medicine, University Hospitals Leuven; Assistant Professor KU Leuven; Belgium
- Daniel DE BACKER MD, PHD Head of Intensive Care and Emergency Departments, CHIREC Hospitals, Belgium, Professor of Intensive Care Medicine, Université Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium
- Jordi RIERA MD PhD – Critical Care Department, Adult ECMO program Director,Vall d’Hebron University Hospital, Barcelona, Spain. EuroELSO Steering Committee, ELSO Scientific Oversight Committee
- Leen VERCAEMST RN, ECCP, University Hospital Leuven, Belgium, EBCP-EuroELSO Liaison, Member of the EBCP Scientific Committee & EuroELSO Steering Committee
- Understand ECMO-ventilator interactions in respiratory ECMO
- Describe the process of weaning VV ECMO support
- Explore strategies to unload the left ventricle in peripheral cardiac ECMO
- Discuss the rationale of VA ECMO in cardiac failure
- Describe the process of weaning VA ECMO support
Key principles of ECMO
- ECMO for Adult Respiratory Failure – weaning from VV ECMO
- Cardiogenic shock, indications for temporary circulatory support, and ECMO
- ECMO for Adult Cardiac Failure – weaning from VA ECMO
How to enhance lung protection on VV-ECMO?
- Principles of ultra-protective lung ventilation
- Prone positioning on ECMO: why? when? and for whom? Theoretical and practical demonstration
- Which tools could I use to set the ventilator on ECMO?
Preventing and treatment of pulmonary oedema on VA-ECM
- Preventing and treatment of pulmonary oedema on VA-ECMO
- If refractory, what could be proposed?
Participants should have at least a basic understanding of, and preferably clinical experience with extracorporeal membrane oxygenation. They can either be
- Intensivist (in training), Anesthesiologist (in training), Perfusionist (in training) or MD with at least 2 years of clinical experience in intensive care
- Registered ICU Nurse with at least two years of experience treating critically-ill patients
An application will be made to the UEMS EACCME® for CME accreditation of this event.
Our special thanks