ECMO JOINT EVENT EuroELSO & ESICM
Task Force experts:
Marta Velia ANTONINI CCP, MS, ECMO Team – AUSL Romagna; Adjunct Lecturer – Department of Biomedical, Metabolic and Neural Sciences, University of Modena & Reggio Emilia, Modena, Italy
Dieter DAUWE MD, PhD, Cardiologist – Intensivist UZ Leuven, Assistant Professor KU Leuven, Belgium
Daniel DE BACKER MD, PHD Head of Intensive Care and Emergency Departments, CHIREC Hospitals, Belgium, Professor of Intensive Care Medicine, Université Libre de Bruxelles, Brussels, Belgium
Jordi RIERA MD PhD, Critical Care Department, Adult ECMO program Director, Vall d’Hebron University Hospital, Barcelona, Spain; EUROELSO Steering Committee
Leen VERCAEMST RN, ECCP, University Hospital Leuven, Belgium, EBCP-EuroELSO Liaison, Member of the EBCP Scientific Committee & EuroELSO Steering Committee
Special guest: Jan BĚLOHLÁVEK MD PhD, Cardiologist, intensivist, Chief Physician, 2nd Department of Internal Medicine – Clinic of Cardiology and Angiology, First Faculty of Medicine Charles University in Prague and General University Hospital in Prague, Prague, Czech Republic; President of EuroELSO
Endorsement: EuroELSO and ESICM
This e-Master Class is the result of a joint educational action between EuroELSO and ESICM to provide specialised training in extracorporeal techniques to healthcare professionals interested in the field.
Long lectures are OUT! Active participation is IN! This master class will employ techniques that encourage maximum learning, participation and knowledge retention through very interactive methodologies such as highly interactive lectures, talk to the expert sessions, progressive case-based fundamentals, immersive virtual reality, with common and parallel routes tailored to the different profiles, from senior to junior physicians, perfusionists and nurses.
Do not hesitate to join us in this new adventure! We are excited to welcome you to our new event!
After registering for the event, ensure you access the pre-course materials available for study in the dedicated online classroom on the ESICM Academy.
Please note that ONLY registered participants can access the dedicated classroom.
An application will be made to the UEMS EACCME® for CME accreditation of this event.
- Share best practice with high-level experts & peers
- Be part of a unique training experience that recalls proactively your previous knowledge and skills in field
- Deepen and broaden your competences in compliance with your profile and interest
- Review general concepts of extracorporeal support and which configuration is recommended for which patient
- Recall ECLS basic physiology from O2 delivery and CO2 removal to direct and indirect hemodynamic support and patient-circuit interaction
- Describe and learn how to set up the initial settings EBF, FGF and FdO2 according to indication and configuration
- Discuss basic management including mechanical ventilation, haemodynamic management, HF and RRT indications, sedation, awakening and rehabilitation
- Understand available options for anticoagulation and anticoagulation monitoring
- Identify patient complications and learn how to react when facing ECMO related complications such as neurological complications, bleeding and thrombosis, limb ischemia, differential oxygenation, refractory hypoxemia, non- ejecting left ventricle, cardiac arrest and pneumothorax on ECMO, drainage insufficiency, recirculation
- Indicate possible mechanical complications such as air in the circuit, pump failure, ML and gas failure, circuit disruption, accidental decannulation and learn how to react
- Learn how to handle advanced management, exit strategies and weaning, hybrid and complex configurations, troubleshooting and much more
- ECLS general concepts
- ECLS basic physiology
- Initial settings
- Basic and advanced management
- Patient complications
- Mechanical complications
- POCUS and ECMO: assessment, cannulation, monitoring, weaning
- Exit strategies and weaning
- Hybrid and complex configurations
- Mechanical complications troubleshooting
- Senior and junior physicians involved or interested in ECMO
- Perfusionists and Nurses involved in ECMO or interested in respiratory vs circulatory support
Highlights of previous sessions
We are proud of this joint educational action with EuroELSO, which provided specialised training in extracorporeal techniques to 101 participants from 29 countries by leveraging 2D Virtual Reality and other interactive formats! See what participants liked most about the first edition of this innovative e-Master Class:
- Terrific two days. Wonderful interaction. See you in Madrid and/or London!
- This masterclass should be mandatory for everyone, who takes care ECMO patients, holistic, it was awesome.
- Thanks a lot for sharing knowledge and experience. Looking forward to seeing you in London!
- I am very glad to learn so much from such a great team. I am already enrolled in the hands-on workshop in Madrid next May. Thank you so much!
- Thank you all for this spectacular course