Advanced Bedside Monitoring in ARF*
Location: ESICM Brussels Training Centre (19 Rue Belliard – 1040 Brussels)
Dates: Master Class rescheduled for June 2021. Dates coming soon.
Master Class Directors:
Tommaso MAURI MD, Assistant Professor and Staff Physician at the Department of Anaesthesia and Critical Care, Fondazione IRCCS Ca’ Granda Ospedale Maggiore Policlinico, University of Milan, Italy
Accreditation: An application will be made to the UEMS EACCME® for CME accreditation of this event
Compliance: The request for compliance with the MedTech Europe Code of Ethical Business Practice will be made.
*ARF – Acute Respiratory Failure
New programme draft will be made available soon.
This three day master class will bring new insights on respiratory mechanics, waveforms interpretations, esophageal pressure, ultrasound & EIT. Participants will experience a progressive immersion in the content, active learning techniques and a variety of instructional strategies from interactive lectures and round table with open debates on specific topics, to clinical study workshops and hands-on.
For deeper penetration into what is being learned an online support classroom with various study resources will be made available prior to the master class.
Key Reasons to attend
- Up-to-date discussions on the hottest clinical topics on bedside monitoring
- Sessions focusing on respiratory mechanics, wave forms interpretations, oesophageal pressure, ultrasound and haemodynamics, diaphragm monitoring, EIT and during high flow
- Practical approach with lots of workshops, hands-on and simulation-based sessions
- Access to e-learning before and after the master class
- Lots of opportunities to interact and share experiences among participants and with the team of international experts that will be facilitating the master class
- To review the respiratory mechanics & understand the patient-ventilator interaction
- To comprehend why and when advanced monitoring is required
- To assess lung protection, patient-ventilator synchronization, and patient effort indexes.
- To consolidate the basic of ultrasound, learn how to perform and interpret a lung and diaphragm ultrasound examination, with examples of different lung pathological conditions, discuss the catheter selection and different monitoring tools, learn how to position the oesophageal catheter, inflate the balloon, and verify its functioning.
- To understand the principles of EIT, how to correctly place the belt and interpret the signal, describe different clinical applications of EIT, use EIT for guidance of mechanical ventilation
- To recognize the patient-ventilator asynchronies using waveforms, discuss the mechanism for each asynchrony and the methods to improve synchronization.
- To monitor the diaphragm by ultrasound and transdiaphragmatic pressure.
- To assess the heamodynamics based on Echocardiography, Central venous saturation and Arterial blood gases.
- To be aware about different approaches to HFNC patients monitoring
- To interpret flow, oesophageal- and gastric pressure and EAdi measurements in patients performing a weaning trial (determine PEEPi, PTP, WOB).
- Rationale for advanced monitoring in acute respiratory failure
- Respiratory mechanics, waveforms interpretations & EIT (technical principles and main output), theory, case-based discussions & hands-on
- Difficult weaning
- Oesophageal pressure: placement, verification & applications (in sedated patients & spontaneous breathing patients), case study workshop and hads-on
- Lung and diaphragm ultrasound method & application, case study workshop and hads-on
- Diaphragm monitoring
- Clinical applications of monitoring
- Monitoring during assisted ventilation
- Monitoring during controlled ventilation
- Monitoring non-intubated patients
- Monitoring heart-lung interactions & Monitoring sedation
- Monitoring tools and how to combine them in ARDS, COPD, Weaning phase
- Tips and tricks at the bedside
Who should attend this master class?
- Junior intensivists seeking for a thorough approach in the bedside monitoring
- Senior intensivists wanting a comprehensive refresher training programme
- ESICM offers a 20% discount for 3 or more participants from the same medical centre. For group discount do NOT follow the standard registration procedure but contact directly firstname.lastname@example.org
Master Class Incentive
ESICM rewards your fidelity! If you have attended 5 or more master classes in Brussels during the past two years you can benefit from ONE free registration to any of the future master classes held at the ESICM Training Centre. Contact us here for further details: email@example.com
Our special thanks to
Highlights from the 2019 edition
The 1st edition of the Advanced Bedside Monitoring in ARF Master Class has just wrapped up. A total of 11 experts and 43 participants from 18 countries including Australia, Japan and Philippines came together for two days at the ESICM Training Centre in Brussels. Here are some of their comments on what they liked best about their experience.
- The high quality of teachers to transmit complex concepts so that they are applicable to our daily clinical practice
- I liked the novel educational approach
- The chance to see up close some monitoring methods that I do not see in my everyday practice and get acquainted with them, such as esophageal pressure and diaphragm ultrasound. Also the revision and better undestanding of methods I already use, such as monitoring waveforms and mechanics, and most of all to see the experts combine all these methods.
- Learning in small groups classified by knowledge level. This gave the opportunity to ask whatever you wanted and to have nice discussions with the experts in the field.