Spring Session~ Results are known. All candidates who completed this exam received an email notification with their results.
EDIC Part I (Written examination)
EDIC part I examination is a multiple choice written examination in English. There are 100 multiple choice questions (MCQs) and each question trunk will have either four or five stems.
Questions are drawn from the entire spectrum of intensive care medicine, including basic medical sciences, pathophysiology of relevant diseases, interpretation of diagnostic data, therapeutics/toxicology, ethics and all aspects of clinical ICM practice.
ESICM offer registered candidates (who have paid their exam fee) access to a series of sample MCQ questions from previous EDIC Part I exams. Candidates will receive an individual time-limited password and be able to answer questions online. This exercise provides a clear example of the level of difficulty of, and the differing types of questions (A and K) candidates should expect in the actual exam.
All answer sheets are handled by Institute of Medical Education (IML: www.iml.unibe.ch) in Bern, Switzerland, who partner with ESICM in the production and evaluation of the exams and MCQs.
EDIC Part I Exam Marking System
For a correct answer to a type A question, 1 point is given, for a wrong or a blank answer 0 point. For a type K question, 1 point is given for 4 correct answers, 0.5 point for 3 out of 4 correct answers and 0 point for less then 3 correct answers. The pass mark is set on a content based standard setting procedure (modified Angoff method) by the EDIC Subcommittee.To analyse the exam takes 3-4 weeks, thus candidates will be provided with the results of the exam between 5-6 weeks of the exam.
2013 EDIC Part I (Written) Sessions - Spring Edition
The 2013 EDIC Part I Spring session took place on April 8, 2013.
The results are known. All candidates received an email notfication with their results.
The minimum score to pass the exam is set at 55. Congratulations to the successful candidates!
The registrations for EDIC Part II is planned to be open in July. For more details, please see on web page EDIC part II (oral/clinical examination).
2013 EDIC Part I (Written) Sessions - Autumn Edition
The 2013 EDIC Part I Autumn Sessions will take place on October 7, 2013 in two sites: Paris, France (ESICM Annual Congress) and Bern, Switzerland.
The registrations are planned to be open in June 2013.
- Copy of University-awarded Medical Degree
- Letter of Confirmation from National or Regional primary specialty Training Authority (e.g. College or Society)
- Documents/letter confirming your training in ICM or completion of ICM training programme
Contact details for:
- If you are in ICM training: Training Authority, supervisor or Head of training
- If you have completed your ICM training: Head of Department or Head of Training Programme or other representative who can attest to your having completed ICM training
- If you are a specialist: Copy of University-awarded Medical Degree and current certificate of full medical registration
A self assessment of MCQ's is available upon request for candidates who have paid their registration fees. Please contact the ESICM office to receive information on how to access the MCQs.
- People who have failed the written exam must wait at least one year prior to being able to sit the written exam again.
- Your seat at the EDIC Part I exam is only guaranteed after the validation by the office of your application